By Kevin Jones, Director of Buildings and Grounds
Many service needs and work requests get handled every day at Rainbow Acres. In order to provide the best response, for the highest number of adults with disabilities residents and employees, it is imperative that we have access to a wide range of assets, material and equipment. Donors of in-kind items can fill a huge need in this regard.
Donations of materials and supplies assist in construction and facility repair needs at Rainbow Acres. Donated pickup trucks, tools, golf carts and mobility equipment keeps maintenance work going safely and assists the Ranchers in getting around the ranch. These donations help Rainbow Acres defray expenses by not having to purchase or replace assets with budgeted dollars.
Overall, in-kind contributions improve service delivery and the quality of life on the ranch. Recent examples of in-kind donations include the following:
For the Ranchers personal use:
- Multiple donors from Cottonwood and Sedona, AZ provided bedroom and living room furniture
- Donors from Des Moines, IA, South Elgin, IL, and Sedona, AZ provided looms for our weaving room
- Donors from Camp Verde, Cottonwood, and Sedona, AZ provided a pool table, a ping pong table, and an air hockey table for our recreation area
- A donor from Durango, CO provided an electric scooter, and a donor from Sedona, AZ donated a new walker; both to address mobility needs on the ranch
- Donors from Bayfield, CO and Camp Verde, AZ donated adult tricycles
For Building and Grounds upkeep:
- A donor from Chino Hills, CA provided a self-propelled lawn mower
- Donors from Sedona, AZ provided various power tools, saws, extension ladders, and portable generators
- A donor from Sedona, AZ gave a Kubota tractor with forklift capability and a brush-hog field mower
- A donor from Camp Verde, AZ donated commercial kitchen utensils
For Transportation and Vehicle needs:
- Donors from Rimrock, AZ, Redlands, CA, and Chino, CA donated pickup trucks for maintenance needs
- Donors from Cottonwood, AZ, Sedona, AZ, Aurora, CO, Fort Bragg, CA, and Calimesa, CA donated vehicles to address transportation requirements
- Donors from Phoenix, AZ and Durango, CO provided 3 golf carts for on-ranch use
What are the types of donations that Rainbow Acres can really use, including those for adults with disabilities?
- Bedroom or dorm room furniture
- Building supplies
- Recreation equipment
- Gardening tools
- Hand and power tools
- Lawn equipment
- Kitchen utensils
- Walkers, scooters and mobility equipment
- Vehicles – Roadworthy and in good repair
- Adult tricycles
How do you know if Rainbow Acres can use your bedroom dresser, extension ladder, or four-door sedan?
- Contact Kevin Jones, Director of Buildings and Grounds. I’m responsible for the in-kind donation process. Contact me at (928) 567-5231 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
- I’ll respond to discuss your potential in-kind donation and assess current needs or future use.
- If there is a current need or future use, we will confirm to accept the donation. Then we can clarify with the donor whether the donation will be dropped off or if a pick-up will need to be arranged.
- An in-kind receipt will be completed for you at the time the donation was received. A thank you acknowledgement will follow shortly afterwards. At the end of each calendar year, each in-kind donor will receive a summary of any contributions they have made.
Each year, Rainbow Acres accepts many in-kind donations, all of which we are thankful for. Here, I’ve shared a few examples of how some donations have positively impacted our delivery of services, changed the quality of life here at Rainbow Acres, and possibly lowered expenses in the process. We appreciate everyone’s support!